Friday 8 June 2007

Atmosphere and style research

My story is quite surreal and a bit twisted, I hope!, and I want this to be reflected in the look of the piece.

I got in touch with a sound engineer called Anthony Leung to help me from the audio side, and he showed me a clip from the Simpsons (Season 18, episode 14) to lister to the music, apparently similar to Astor Piazollas' music. Visually it was a really interesting piece of animation because it was all cross hatched and very dark and sinister. It was apparently a reference to artist Edward Gorey, so found an image (see below).
Like the textures in this image - it was on a card but I can't remember the artist's name. Background artist Pete Hillier at CSM gave a few of us a Photoshop tutorial and after that I experimented with some textures in my backgrounds.

Old Lady and the Pigeojns, directed by Sylvain Chomet is dark and twisted in the way that I want my film to be and I really liked the French style and colour schemes. See http://theoscarsite.com/pictures1997/oldlady.jpg&imgrefurl=http://theoscarsite.com/pictures1997/oldlady.htm&h=104&w=132&sz=6&hl=en&start=13&um=1&tbnid=BF8KGOfmdOmeSM:&tbnh=72&tbnw=92&prev=/images?q=old+lady+and+the+pigeons&svnum=10&um=1&hl=en&sa=N


Did an image search on Google of messy room pics to help with designing the backgrounds and this was one of the best I found!



No comments: