Friday 8 June 2007

St Jerome in his Study National Gallery brief

St Jerome in his Study, by Vincenzo Catena, from the National Gallery permanent collection.

The brief for this project was set by the National Gallery - to take inspiration from one of the paintings in their permanent collection and produce a 1 minute animation related to it.

This painting was the one I chose - the thing that struck me about it was Jerome's pose. Saint Jerome was a scholar and patron saint of librarians, encyclopaedists and translators so this pose is probably supposed to make him appear hard at work reading, but to me I thought he looked lonely and a little sad. And although Saints are icons and admired and worshipped in the Catholic church, which I was brought up in, I have always felt a bit sorry for them. Often they were outcasts from society and suffered a lot of hardship.




No comments: